Monday, July 12, 2010

4 Minute PR

When it comes to personal records, it is very hard to be discouraged when there is improvement. With a four minute PR, I would be pleased, but I realistically believe I am another five minutes faster than I showed today. My actual bike split was over a minute slower than last year and with the amount of time I have spent cycling compared to last year I find myself very discouraged. In workouts I am putting in more miles, faster times in all of them and feel as fit for triathlons as I ever have.
After my past two races I have felt recovered within just a few minutes as though I am ready to start over and do it again. My conclusion is that training for a full Ironman and competing in Olympic distance triathlons are not a good mix to see success. July 31st I believe with all the hours on the bike, the two-a-day runs, and the smell of chlorine coming off my skin even after I shower due to how much time I am spending in the pool will all pay off with a great race. Even though I am looking forward to the Vineman Ironman, I also look forward to next summer where I can focus on more than one race while bringing home some much needed success. I owe a special thanks to Jim Hallberg for once again allowing me to stay at his house and his coaching has helped me to another personal record.

2 comments:

  1. you may be discouraged by your one minute slower bike time, but overall it's a great improvement. think how worn your body is due to the amount of time you are spending training! i know you despise excuses, but that is reality. though you may have one minute slower on the bike, your swimming is coming along even better as you grow more scales (you're such a fish) and your running is still improving after all these years. that is something to recognize. i know you won't be satisfied until you reach whatever level you have set in your mind, which you may not even yet realize.
    i'm really proud of you and all that you are doing in your training and your competing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I appreciate the support and hope to really show off in California.

    ReplyDelete