Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Go Run


Looking for inspiration? I hear my friends and athletes talking about it, and read about it all the time. Why am I not looking for it? How do I just get up and want to punish my body, not just once in the morning, but most days twice? The answer is that I obviously have a screw loose somewhere. Whether that’s the case or not, there needs to be a purpose to run, to bike, or to do whatever it is you have a desire to accomplish.
Let’s start there, a PURPOSE! When it comes to working out, it is much easier if you have a goal to shoot for. Personally, I start by picking a race. After I find the next BIG race to shoot for, I work back with my workouts to where I am now. It is a lot easier to work backwards than forwards because you need to know what it will take to accomplish that goal with a certain level of fitness and then work back ,doing your best to get there in a logical manner. So, find a 5k, 10k, or maybe just a fitness goal, such as running for an hour without stopping. Now that you have that set down, devise a plan of how you hope to accomplish that goal. If you need ideas on workouts or want ideas what I believe would be necessary, feel free to contact me, and I would love to see what I can do to help. Once there is a purpose, working out gets easier because you know that to achieve your goal, you need to get off your rear end and get to it!
What? You have a goal and you still are lacking motivation? Very common, especially in college runners. They know that there is a big meet or competition coming, yet they spend their runs focusing on anything but that fact. To these runners, I would say, “Why are you a part of this team? Why do you even put yourself through this if you do not care?”
It is easy to get into a rut in life, in training, in faith, or in any relationship. So, how did you change from being a highly driven athlete to someone who is debating giving it up? Most likely it is an external factor. For me, when a day comes that I don’t want to train, I look to my Faith. Yes, my Faith. I love running, but I have truly started to enjoy running now that I am running to glorify God. My belief is that God gave me this body to use, just as he gave me the Bible. When I see a Bible that is almost destroyed from being used so much, I smile, as I know that the owner of the Bible is actively learning more about God. As with the Bible, I want to use my body the same way. “Destroyed” may be the wrong word, but I want to use everything God gave me.
I have only achieved such a feeling after certain runs or races. I do not want to end up at the pearly gates and say I spent half my life in bed or on a couch playing video games. I want to say I used every bit of talent and strength possible. Genetically, I will never be able to be the very best athlete, but I intend to become the very best athlete that I can be. So, if you are looking for motivation, turn to God. Look at what he has given you, and use whatever talent you have to glorify him. If your goal is to glorify him, I believe you will find your way out of bed and into a great workout.
I have heard it many times and have seen the strength of having support from friends, teammates, family, and God. There is a good chance all of those will be there on that big day for which you are training, but on those morning workouts, the late night abs, you will most likely be chilling with God. Do not underestimate him. His strength can be your strength. Trust in him, and know he believes in you. So, good luck with whatever your goal may be. May you find inspiration in these words, but truly through the words of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment