Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fall Update



The past few months with cross country season in full swing, I have not had a chance to post on this site. I have been neck deep with writing workouts for my athletes, planning race strategies, and, of course, recruiting like crazy. In addition to my duties as a coach, I also have kept busy selling shoes at Salina Running Company and have been doing my best to train as hard as I can. There have been no race reports because I have only raced in one local 5K since my DNF in Boulder. The local 5K was an easy win, at least.

My next race will be the Brooks Las Vegas Rock N' Roll Marathon on December 2nd. My progression of long runs to prepare for it have been getting longer, as well as faster. In addition to my long runs, I have been getting in some solid intervals. Today on the new trail in Salina, I ran 4x2mile. (11:21, 10:51, 10:52, 10:42)

Training for a marathon is very different from the triathlon training my body had become accustomed to. It is by far a lot easier to just go plug miles, but spending the amount of time in one session to do these longer runs is stressful. I definitely prefer the more intense workouts and the diversity of triathlon training compared with the long boring runs, especially those over 15 miles.

On the brighter side of things, this past weekend I was able to travel to Colorado to attend the State XC meet and to see friends and family. The drive can be boring, but luckily with my friend Monica and two athletes who I dropped off to visit family, the time passed rather quickly. While in Colorado, I was not able to fit in great long runs, but instead ran several trails with Monica and had a blast just enjoying running without worrying about time or distance.

This Saturday is the KCAC XC Championship meet. Going into this big race, I have been pushing my athletes to trust me, trust in their training, and trust in the Lord. I have also been pushing them to give me "heart,"  to race with all they have and to give me HEART. While thinking about this, Proverbs 3:5-7 came to mind. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. I wish the best of luck to everyone racing either at their conference meets or at their regional meets!

No comments:

Post a Comment