Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Training for Battle

Unlike triathlons, there is a battle that does not have a set date or time. There is no event expo or even a sense of fair play among your competitors. This battle is a battle of faith. My competitor is the devil. He will fight by any and all means, using my mind, friends, even the Bible to fight against me. To succeed in triathlons, I have been putting in many hours of training, and to fight the battle for my soul, I must also spend hours training. I labeled my 2012 triathlon schedule “Attacking my Weaknesses;” this has now become my motto for my faith as well.

To better combat my weaknesses in my faith I must gain knowledge. Proverbs 9:10 says “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” This means more than just reading the Bible; it is understanding and implementing strong morals in my everyday life. When comparing my training for triathlons and my faith, they both involve time, energy, and perseverance. The journey to becoming stronger, to being prepared for battle is not easy. With triathlons I can put off races until I am ready; however, my enemy in faith does not wait for me to be ready. I can go into hibernation and avoid all, trying to make it easier to be strong by eliminating chances for failure, but that does not allow me to truly live the life I was called to live. That is not getting stronger, but instead is hiding, not hibernation. God does not call on us to sit back and live a safe life, but instead he calls on me to live a life full of passion and strength for my Savior. So I ask, “Are you living in fear because you are afraid you might fail?” Go and fight, because evil does not wait. Attack your weaknesses, and use this life that is given because it is flying by. Thessalonians 5:16-18, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Live by these words and you are off to a strong start in the battle between good and evil.

Ice Cream is a must for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment