Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Blank Page

It's time for a new chapter in the book that is my racing career.  Whether coaching or competing, I am a habitual PR (personal record) guy.  It seems only right to look at what you have done and compare yourself to the past.  I encourage my runners to always compare themselves to their past results and not to other runners.  Well, now I am going to expand upon that idea. 

A blank page is before me with the upcoming Kansas 5i50 Olympic Distance Triathlon.  My last triathlon ended with an ambulance ride because my will pushed me literally until my body gave in with a heat stroke.  After food poisoning and potentially the worst 26.2 miles I have ever raced in December, I have been battling an Achilles injury.  From early December until April 15th, I did not get in more than 15 runs total, due to the pain.  I now am on a mission to complete (that's right COMPLETE, not compete in) an Olympic distance triathlon with 35 days of training.  That is more than a five month sabbatical from racing and four months without continuous training.

There is no comparison when one is starting from scratch.  I am driven by a determination to use the gifts God has given me to write a new chapter.  Often we compare ourselves to our past, but the beauty of being a Christian is that I am not who I once was.  I am a new being, and while I will not forget my past or my PR's, I am moving forward and not looking back.  It's a blank page that needs written, and the first words on the page will be from this race.  So, for those of you with an upcoming race, don't be so hard on yourself.  The variables are always changing, and so are you.  Do your very best under the circumstances given, and have no regrets.  Leave it all out there in every race and every workout, and the future chapters will be more exciting than the previous ones. 



For a coaching update, I am very proud of all my runners who had a great season despite very rough weather.  Hunter Stayton qualified for Outdoor Nationals, so once again I'll be heading to Indiana.  It's a fun time, and we may check out the Indianapolis 500 Sunday before we fly back.  After Nationals I get to move home for a few months to Colorado, and I am in definite need of mountain time.  An exciting spring is under way, and a Colorado summer is just around the bend.  



Thanks for all the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment