Wednesday, June 26, 2013

L2L Triathlon

My 6th Loveland Lake 2 Lake Triathlon was truly one of my favorite races.  Although the swim course includes a 400m run to transition from the lake, and the bike course is truly difficult with over 700ft of elevation gain in the first 15 miles, I can't help but love the atmosphere of it all.  I had no idea if two months of total training would have me ready or 3 weeks at elevation would have me acclimated, but I knew I would have fun.  The race started off well with my fastest swim split in 6 years of racing L2L which had me excited for the bike.  However, excitement was quickly replaced by exhaustion.  The high elevation mixed with the steady climb to Horse Tooth Reservoir had my legs burning, and if it weren't for the wind, I would have been  really hot.  Riding through the canyons, I was whipped right and left by the winds.  I decided that I need to buy a new rear wheel because I cannot handle the wind very well with the solid disc wheel and my Specialized Shiv.   The disc wheel will be reserved for flat, non-windy courses from now on.  My bike split was one of my slowest ever on the course, and while I would like to blame it all on elevation gain and wind, I simply am still gaining confidence back from two wrecks last summer. 

On to the run!  This course is one of my favorites because I love the concrete and asphalt; there is something about the way my Brooks T7's feel as I push off on the smooth ground and the power I feel finishing on light feet.  What made it even better than normal were two high fives, one from my long time friend Scott Dahlberg who was running a relay and to another friend Beth O'Brien.  The high five seems like such an insignificant touch, yet the energy packed in one when you have been competing for hours gives hope and encouragement to fight through the walls.  When all was said and done, I ended up with my 2nd fastest time on the course, with my fastest swim and run split ever recorded in Loveland, and it was good enough for 4th place in the professional triathlete division.

This summer is one that is different than any other.  I do not have a set plan of workouts for the summer.  Instead, I am going week by week, seeing how I feel.  Spending more time taking in the beauty of Colorado even if it means a little slower on a bike ride or on the run.  Remembering and taking in the love of it all is what drives me and I couldn't be happier here in Colorado surrounded by the beauty God has so graciously given with some of the finest people that anyone could ask for.  My next race is unknown as I continue to just roll with the punches.  As always I appreciate your support and prayers.         
   2:30.10 (Swim 28:22, T:55, Bike 1:23.4, T2 :30, Run 36:42)

No comments:

Post a Comment