Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Be A Mental Warrior


     I am sitting here on a beautiful but chilly day in Colorado Springs.  After just one week of training, I am still excited every morning to take off and run, bike, or swim.  Since I am spending my summer in Colorado to train and race at altitude, I am finding myself with a fair amount of free time.  I fill it by resting, eating, and calling my athletes and recruits; however, lately, I have also enjoyed some time with my thoughts. 
     Today just so happens to be National Running Day.  This is a day when many will find the courage to get out of bed and run or squeeze a run in over their lunch break. 
     Motivation is such a key to success when it comes to training.  As a coach I do my very best to find new and exciting ways to motivate my runners, through words, creative workouts, and even my own training.  I have seen my fair share of great runners; some were great because God was generous with their genetics, and others were great because they wanted to be.  The famous quote, “Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn’t work” is true.  Hard work comes from determination and a bit of stubborn pride.  So, the question at hand is why do some work hard and some simply sit back and watch others succeed? 
     Training your mind is the same as training any other part of your body.  It takes repetition, time, and a lot of effort.  You weren’t born lazy; it is a habit that was by choice.  To beat laziness, to beat that instinct that tells you to give in, takes time.  I have found it is easiest to beat this instinct of weakness by surrounding yourself with those who are also motivated.  It seems so simple!  It's the same as if you wanted to quit smoking, it would be easier to be around people who don’t smoke.  If one wanted to learn French, it would be a lot easier to move to France and learn it there than to move to Mexico. 
     Some athletes have what it takes and will work hard, but at the first sign of struggle they pack it in.  They make an excuse and ride that excuse until the weather changes and a new day comes with new circumstances.  A mental warrior takes the hiccups of life with a grain of salt.  I’ve found that it is important to have short term memory and forget what you cannot control and focus on what you can.  If someone does that long enough, I have no doubt that person will be successful. 
     This attitude does not just help one in training but also in healing.  There are many runners who are frequently injured, sick, or, in other words, out of commission.  I am in no way attacking those who are truly injured, but there are many who are injured by choice.  They refuse to listen to their bodies and talk themselves into being injured or sick because the road ahead is hard.  This may be because they have been babied too long.  I do not want to rush someone back into commission, but the next time you are feeling sick, possibly hurt, or unable to train, STOP, take a few minutes and reflect.  Acknowledge that the journey ahead will be hard, remind yourself of the goals set, and then decide if you are injured or just scared.  All the coaches, friends, and family in the world cannot change your mental status the way you can.  To be healed one must emotionally or spiritually heal oneself.  The word “GO” appears in the Bible nearly 1500 times.  I dare you to read the Bible and find stories where the sick and injured are healed by staying in one place, complaining that they cannot do what they want.  When Jesus heals, he does not tell people to sit and wait.  He instructs them to GO!  John 9:11 says He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.” 
      Today, tomorrow, and the day after that, get out of bed and be strong.  Be a mental warrior because life will not be easy.   The motivation to train and the mental fortitude to stay healthy can be found from within.  You may need to reinvest in your Faith, or the people around you for strength, but do not give up.  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.  Joshua 1:9  

No comments:

Post a Comment