Sunday, September 11, 2016

What’s with all the noise?


It is no secret I have always thrived on movement.  From childhood until now I have lived to run, bike, or do anything that kept me on the go.  Sitting in class going through school was torture for me, as I think more clearly and am calmer with movement.  This movement has also become an important piece of my faith. 
Coming to God in prayer seems simple: you pray for your relative with cancer, you pray for grandpa who is sick and throw in a thank you for the blessings that God has given you.  This, however, I do not see as enough.  One must have a relationship with God.  He is not some distant friend who you share the basics with and then depart.  God should be with you in the deepest of ways, and there should be a closeness to you with no secrets hidden.  
So, what does all the noise have to do with prayer, one may ask?  I personally respond better in prayer and feel closer, more vulnerable, more clear in my prayer without the distractions.  I still can have great conversations with God at stoplights or even in bed before falling asleep, but there is a stillness, a peace that comes from praying without the noise, without the distractions.  For this reason, escaping to the mountains for hiking, running, or cycling has always resulted in some of my greatest spiritual eye opening prayers with God.  Movement is not the problem; it is the noise, the to-do lists, the opportunities to check my phone, or worry about everyone else’s problems along with mine.  I can be vulnerable and really dive into my faith, my problems, my struggles, and feel direction in my heart after doing so.  While being vulnerable, I can admit my flaws and admit that the struggle I may be going through was my own doing and that I should fix the problem I created.  But I could really use God's help or direction in how to get out of the mess I created.  Now, just because I enjoy escaping to the wilderness or a workout to get deep in prayer does not mean one cannot be as successful in their own home.  I have heard from several friends that they feel so at peace in their own homes or with their significant other that they can pray the deepest of prayers with them and in their home.  I hope some day that I can find such a woman and create such a home.  I have a hard time believing it will be quite the same as my prayers that I have prayed in the mountains, but if that day comes, I will welcome it.
So, my advice to you is to find your place of comfort.  It does not have to be the mountains or in movement, but having a place of security where you can pray and truly open up to God is vital for the growth of your spiritual health and relationship.  If you have a place, then I encourage you to go a step further and find someone you feel comfortable with so your prayers can be shared and amplified, as the power of prayer works.  Cut out the ear buds, the cell phones, and anyone that does not help you grow or allow you to be close to God.  Get rid of all the noise, and fill yourself with the peace that comes from deep and honest prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment