Saturday, November 12, 2011

Drafting

Throughout my college career, I was known as a "kicker." At regular season meets, I would pull my weight, but when a championship was on the line I would do what it took to win or qualify. Post college I have raced in many road races and triathlons, and several times I have worked with other athletes fighting the wind. However, today my "kick" was not enough to win after experiencing something I had thankfully never experienced before and hope to never again.
This morning I raced a half marathon on the hilly windy course at Shawnee Mission Park. From the start, a young man went immediately to my hip pocket, letting me fight the wind. After a few miles, I began asking him to help out as the head wind was beginning to burdon me. When he refused, I threw in a few accelerations to break him, but with no avail. At mile six, I said forget this and jogged a 6:42 mile. He still refused to pass. I asked him if money was on the line, but I already knew the answer was, "No." During miles 7-10, I ran four straight miles at 5:38 with him still behind me. Besides drafting, he was repeatedly stepping on my heels. At mile 10.5, I slowed in frustration, and he flew by with the tail wind. In anger I yelled the nickname Pre would have used from Without Limits for someone who would not run courageously.
At the finish he ended up beating me by nearly a minute as he jumped around like a super bowl champion. With the encouragement of a great friend Justin Hill, I had battled back and still ran 1:17.22. However, at the line I nearly lost it as he tried to congratulate me. There were unpleasantries exchanged, but having Justin there kept me from losing it. I refuse to acknowledge a victory that is not earned.
I am excited with how I did in the wind and hills in spite of getting stepped on. I was also very happy to see Kari Wagoner finish her first half marathon on a stress fracture. Seeing someone race a half on a stress fracture shows true courage and exemplifies what fun half marathons should be about as you push your own limits. The race director Ben Holmes put on a great race that was well organized and marked, on an absolutely beautiful course. He even apologized to me for the experience that I had with the other runner throughout the race.
So, to all my fellow runners out there, never sacrifice ethics to win. Give everything you have while having fun and stay off your competitors heels. While Pre has a name for runners like I faced today, I simply would advise you to "Race with class."

No comments:

Post a Comment