Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving with Courage


This city, Colorado Springs, is my city! It is great to be back! Coming home is always an amazing feeling, and with each mile closer, the mountains grow larger. A sense of comfort comes over me, a sense of strength, as Pikes Peak is my Ebenezer. I have seen many friends, done so much, and ran many miles already this week, and it is only Thanksgiving! With this special day, I think of some of the people who have helped form me into the man I am today. Philippians 1:3 says, “I thank my God every time I remember you.” It has been such a long road to get to where I am now. So much hard work, so many dreams, and none of it would be possible without my faith that is reaffirmed by my amazing friends and family.

Last Saturday I won the Frosty 5K in Salina, so I decided to sit out the Briargate Turkey Trot today and just supported friends. Watching the race with Jenny Simpson I really enjoyed seeing Adam Rich, Kevin Morgan, Gerald Romero, and Shannon Payne all run well. Now, as a coach I am constantly watching races and not racing in them. Looking from the outside is so much different. The fans who have never run do not understand the courage necessary to push when everything in your body says to slow down. Giving all you have is not easy, and there is always self doubt. Anyone can stand on the side and cheer, but it takes true courage to race. Running has always been a metaphor for me and my life. As I watched the race go by today, I was having fun, but it is not the same as racing. With life, it is easy to sit on the side, cheer on others as they do what we may think is hard, or even impossible, but what is true is those who race are those who are not scared. Races and life rarely go how we plan, and fate rarely calls on us at a time of our choosing, but it is our courage to act, to live, and to conquer that makes us truly alive.

So, for those of you who are looking for motivation, or that perfect moment, STOP! It most likely already passed. Wake up and do something before you are so far behind that all you can do is look back and wonder. Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua1:9 That moment you are waiting for is NOW! Step out of your comfort zone, and live your life with courage because the Lord is with you Wherever you go. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment