Sunday, December 18, 2011

Freezing 5K

Although the name of yesterday’s 5K was the Holiday Hustle, it could have been named the Freezing 5K due to the 22degree temperature. Starting in the shadows of Junction City High School, the race was full of Kansas collegiate standouts. As we took off up the longest hill of the course, I knew the majority of the top competitors were all very fit because they recently raced in the DII cross country nationals. The first mile we packed up, running with a slight head wind as we came through the mile at 5:28. After the mile, the pack quickly broke apart with a surge, and the lead group all went sub 5 for mile 2 and 3. I finished with a 15:54 and had a lot of fun even though I was in 6th place. It was exciting to know that I could go sub 16 on a hard course with hills. I will be heading back to Colorado in a few days to finally put in some great miles at higher elevation where I might also throw in some speed. I am planning on racing a 3K on January 7th at KU and will need to be able to get out a lot faster. All in all, it was a fun event, and Tim Testa did a great job running the event. Post race with his family and several of the guys I enjoyed some amazing pancakes at his parents’ house. What a great start to the Holiday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment